Things to Do with Kids in Aspen
Aspen Mountain or if you are a long time local, Ajax Mountain is the heart of Aspen. The Silver Queen Gondola transports you from downtown to the top of the mountain with stunning 360-degree views ascending you into the sky. The Silver Queen opens for the summer Memorial Day weekend with service from 10:00 – 4:00 on the weekends. Daily service begins from June 15 – September 2, 2019.
Imagine exploring Aspen from 12,000 feet! There are plenty of activities for the whole family. At the top, you will discover the Sundeck restaurant complete with a Bluegrass band on Sundays. If games are your forte take your turn at bad mitten, chess, bocce ball, checkers, croquet, Frisbee golf, and play in the tree forts. The mountain offers several hikes rated from easy to difficult. Ajax Trail runs parallel to the mountain, rated easy, and gives you a different view of downtown Aspen.
Biking in Aspen
A bike ride downtown is a beautiful way to discover Aspen. You can enjoy the sights, sounds, and town more easily on a bike. With so much to explore the options are truly never ending.
- A stop at CP Burger for lunch and a round of putt-putt golf is a crowd pleaser then over to Paradise Bakery for ice cream and a cookie.
- Wagner Park is the epicenter of Aspen. Everything leads to here from the walking malls and city streets. The tooth playground is a hit with the kids and the adults can enjoy a drink on Bodega’s patio while the kids play.
- The famous downtown dancing fountain is a few steps away known to the local kids as “The Center of the Universe.”
- The John Denver Sanctuary, Rio Grande Trail and Herron Park are a few other spots in town where nature and fun go hand in hand.
- West Hopkins Street is designated solely to bikes in the summer months. Follow the bike street west; banking Shadow Mountain to Marlot Ranch, Cemetery Lane, the golf course, the bike trails are endless.
If you head east towards Independence Pass you will discover the North Star Preserve, The Grottos, Weller Lake and paddle boarding. If your kids are a little older a bike ride from town towards North Star Preserve is super pretty and takes you through a nature preserve and along the Roaring Fork River. Accessible by car the Grottos is an easy hike to ice caves and the kids will love exploring along the way.
Weller Lake hike is another family-friendly hike to an alpine lake but wear your hiking shoes because it is rocky. Paddleboarding on the Roaring Fork River is a great way to spend the day soaking up sunshine and scenery. It is an easy paddle down the river. Aspen Bikes will drop you off and pick you up if you rent boards from their shop.
Scenic Views near Aspen
Maroon Bells is a must see and do when visiting Aspen. It is one of the most magical places on earth. Kids will love running along the paths surrounding the lake, searching for trout, beaver and other wildlife. Please pack for any weather it is about 10 degrees cooler at the Bells.
There is a beautiful hike to Crater Lake from the Bells. The hike is doable with kids as long as you pack snacks, water and wear sturdy shoes. The hike will take about 1.5 hours one way depending on your stops along the way. Crater Lake is a perfect place to enjoy an impromptu picnic and catch your breath before the hike back.
Kid & Family Friendly Nightlife
If you still have energy after all the daytime adventures the evenings are equally as exciting. Ryno’s in Aspen is a pizza joint with video games and corn hole on the patio. Grab a bus or take your car and head to Snowmass, the sleepy little village with majestic views and friendly smiles.
- Thursday nights, beginning in June, the Snowmass Concert Series kicks off all summer long with live music on Fanny Hill. Bring your chairs, blankets, picnic dinner and let the kids run free while you enjoy the top artists rocking into the sunset.
- On Wednesday nights it is time to put your cowboy boots on and two-step over to the Snowmass Rodeo. The rodeo is complete with mechanical bull riding, sawhorse roping, feeding the animals and mutton busting!
- The Lost Forest is another grand adventure to be had in Snowmass.
Aspen explodes in color in the summertime. The flowers are blooming, the grass is the richest green you will ever see, and the fragrant summer breeze delights your senses, put Aspen and McCartney Property Management on the top of your list for a must stop summer vacation destination. Start searching for the perfect Aspen vacation rental accommodations today.